UCB is not a healthcare provider (e.g., a doctor, hospital, pharmacist, etc.) and is generally not subject to the Privacy Rule under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, commonly known as HIPAA, which imposes additional requirements on healthcare providers relating to protected healthcare information.
The Site is not intended for persons under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect information from any person under the age of 18. If a parent or guardian has reason to believe that a child under the age of 18 has provided us with Personal Information, the parent or guardian should contact us immediately as provided below.
Collection of Personal Information
You do not need to provide any Personal Information to visit public sections of the Site. You will be asked to provide us with certain Personal Information to use certain portions of the Site. In the course of requesting such information, we may also ask you to identify your relationship to a particular disease (e.g., as a diagnosed patient, a friend or relative of such a patient, or as a healthcare provider). Your submission of some Personal Information is optional and you can choose not to provide it. Submission of certain Personal Information, however, is required in order for you to participate in certain features or areas of the Site, such as registering as a member; requesting to subscribe to a newsletter; asking a question; or initiating other transactions on the Site. We will inform you on the Site what Personal Information is required and what Personal Information is optional.
UCB may collect Personal Information about health care professionals who register on the Site from public or third party information sources to verify their professional credentials and identity. In some cases, we may augment our existing user databases with information from third parties. Some of this information may be Personal Information, such as change of postal address information and demographic information, which we use to better understand your potential purchasing preferences.
Collection of Non-Personal Information
We also receive and store information that is not personally identifiable to you. This may include, for example, (i) questions, comments, ideas, or suggestions that you provide or other information that we collect that is not linked to any of your Personal Information, (ii) information about your computer collected when you visit the Site, such as your IP address, web browser software (such as Microsoft Internet Explorer), and referring websites, and (iii) the date and time you visited the Site and your online activity within the Site, such as the pages you visited during your use of it ("Non-Personal Information"). One of our goals in collecting automatic Non-Personal Information is to help customize your user experience. If you use a mobile device to access the Site and online resources, we may also collect information about your device, such as your device ID and device type, as well as usage information about your device and your use of our mobile Sites and other mobile resources.
Most web browsers permit you to erase cookies from your computer's hard drive, to block all cookies, or to receive a warning before a cookie is placed on your system. Refer to your web browser instructions or "Help" button to learn more about cookies and the cookie-related options available to you. You should be aware, however, that cookies might be necessary to provide you with certain features available on the Site, such as customized delivery of features and information on products or services.
We may also track your usage of the Site through the use of pixel tags (also called clear gifs). The information collected through use of pixel tags is not personally identifiable and is considered Non-Personal Information.
Use of Personal Information
We may use your Personal Information for the following general purposes:
- to provide you with the services, products, information, or features you request;
- to manage your account with us;
- to respond to your questions and comments;
- to measure your interest in and improve the content of the Site;
- to customize the Site to your preferences and selections;
- to send you information about UCB's and its partners' and advertisers' products or services that may be of interest to you;
- to solicit information from you, including through surveys;
- to resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, or provide you with support in your use of the Site;
- to audit its online resources for authorized access and security;
Disclosure of information
We may disclose your Personal Information to third parties that agree to protect your Personal Information. In addition, we may disclose your Personal Information in the following circumstances:
- to third-party vendors we use to support our business (e.g., internet service providers, hosting companies, financial institutions, and companies that provide business analytics, fulfillment services, technical support, and delivery services);
- to trusted third-party businesses with which we partner to offer you products and services;
- to any global UCB affiliates, subsidiaries, or other related companies;
- in connection with a corporate transaction, such as the sale, assignment, or other transfer of the business of the Site to which such information relates;
- in response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process;
- to establish or exercise our legal rights;
- to defend against legal claims;
- as required by applicable laws or government regulations;
- to protect and defend the rights of UCB, the Site, or the users of the Site;
- under circumstances we believe reasonably necessary to protect the personal safety of users of UCB's products and services, the Site, or the public; and
We may also share Non-Personal Information with third parties, including advertisers and investors.
Access and correction
You can access the Personal Information you have provided to the Site by contacting us as provided below. We will take reasonable steps to update or correct Personal Information in our possession that you have submitted via the Site, so long as you notify us of any information that needs to be changed or corrected.
You may choose:
- not to provide Personal Information, but that may result in your inability to obtain certain services or use certain features of the Site;
- to stop receiving commercial emails from us through the "unsubscribe" or similar hypertext link in any such message we send or by sending an email to the contact email address provided below;
- to delete or decline cookies by changing your browser settings (click "Help" in the toolbar of most browsers for instructions), but if you do so, some of the features and services of the Site may not function properly; or
- to review and update your Personal Information by contacting us as provided below and, if you have an online account on the Site, by logging into that account.
We take reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information as you transmit the information you choose to submit from your computer to our site and to protect such Personal Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. You should keep in mind that no internet transmission is ever 100% secure or error free. Therefore, while we take steps to secure your Personal Information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your Personal Information will always remain private or free from compromise.
Links to other Web sites
Your California privacy rights
Under California's "Shine the Light" law, California residents who provide personally identifiable information in obtaining products or services for personal, family, or household use are entitled to request and obtain from UCB once per calendar year information about the customer information UCB shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of your Personal Information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared such Personal Information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2012 will receive information regarding 2011 sharing activities).
To obtain this information from UCB please send an email message to the contact provided below with "Request for California Privacy Information" included in the subject line and in the body of your message. We will provide the requested information to you at your email address in response. Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the "Shine the Light" requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
How to contact us
ATTN: U.S. Communications Dept.
1950 Lake Park Drive
Smyrna, Georgia 30080